Monday, December 26, 2011

Review of the year

There is a supposedly ancient Chinese curse that goes "May you live in interesting times". What many people don't know is that it is meant to be followed by two even more cunning curses "May you come to the attention of those in authority" and ultimately "May you find what you're looking for".

Thus goes the theme of this past year at Creamy Ranch. Here are some of the highlights...

  • Interesting times
Well, the Creamy Ranch is going to be welcoming the pitter patter of tiny feet. In more ways than one. Yes, the wife is pregnant and expecting in June. There is lots to do in preparation, some of which is easy some of which is hard. Baby proofing the place is probably at the easier end of the scale. Picking out colors for the nursery is seemingly much more difficult. It is pretty easy to get overwhelmed by all the stuff you supposedly need too. Strollers, cots, changing tables... Enough to make you hyperventilate in Babies R' Us.

In a circle of life kind of deal, we had to say goodbye to Cleo our cat. She had a full life perhaps longer than we all expected. After growing up on the mean streets of Chicago as a single mother, being rescued and then getting to live in Kansas and Brooklyn she enjoyed her retirement in Arizona. The house is strangely empty without her, though we think her spirit still lingers. We were both quite shocked by the number of people whose lives she had touched in such a positive way.


We had been considering getting a dog for a long time but couldn't until now. So, some time in the new year we will go and check out some of the local rescue organizations and see if we can find a mutt in need of a home.

  • The attention of those in authority
I had not originally given much thought to becoming a US citizen. Apart from the inconvenience of telling the government each time I moved and renewing my Green Card every ten years I was fairly content. Then with thoughts of starting a family, fears of what Arizona might do next and an impending general election, I decided to go for it. Compared to the rest of my immigration journey, this last part seems to have been the easiest. I passed the civics test with flying colors by naming the Chief Justice (John Roberts), the number of representatives (435), how long representatives are elected (two years), when we vote for president (November), who the father of the country is (Washington), and the name a war in the 1900s (WW1). The oath ceremony itself was actually quite moving and despite myself I did shed a tear. I am now registered to vote, have a funny blue colored passport and await my call up to do jury duty.

All in all the whole process from deciding to get married to now has taken about 5 years and cost several thousand dollars. But most definitely worth it. Just don't thank me for "doing it the right way". I was lucky and privileged that I had this opportunity.

  • Getting what I'm looking for?
Hmm more tricky this one. I do now have a "man nook" in my office, complete with cozy Poang chair from Ikea. Perhaps next year, when I am looking for a little solitude I can go and hide there.


I should probably be careful what I wish for, but I don't think I would not want to live in interesting times. That would be boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment